Transforming policies and practices by illuminating how early-life environments and experiences get “under the skin”, in order to help every child thrive.
The Social Exposome cluster influences policies and practices that address child health disparities, by bringing together experts and data across disciplines to uncover the relationships among the cellular, social and environmental influences that impact children’s short and longer-term development, health and wellbeing.
STRATEGIC AREAS OF FOCUS
The Social Exposome Cluster delivers innovative research findings through interdisciplinary data creation, integration and sharing. We employ innovation in all aspects of our work through the formulation of new methodologies and paradigms, and by fostering Inter-institutional & inter-sectoral collaboration. We consistently work to ensure the relevance of our work through community driven and evidence-based research.
KNOWLEDGE TRANSFER & DISSEMINATION
The Social Exposome Research Cluster is a leader in advancing knowledge across multiple groups in the community, by enabling a deep understanding and appreciation of the lasting influence of traditional & non-traditional social determinants of health. We achieve this by disseminating knowledge through diverse channels and strategies in order to create sustainable public impact and, subsequently, impactful policy changes.
The Social Exposome Research Cluster creates and sustains a high level of engagement with our new and existing cluster members and the general community. We achieve this through meaningful collaborations and partnerships along the spectrum, from researchers, to community groups, to policy makers, locally and globally. Underrepresented groups & geographical areas, alongside children and youth, are key to our engagement strategies.
The Social Exposome Cluster continuously develops new projects and initiatives to keep relevant and maximize our impact. We build and sustain capacity through diverse revenue streams that meet our financial infrastructure and resource needs. Our effective sustainability efforts allow us to build on our strong identity and visibility.
The Social Exposome Research Cluster creates a high-quality environment for trainees, that fosters strong trainee leadership and enables their diverse career aspirations. We bring together a diverse group of trainees and mentors to facilitate cross-disciplinary training. We support career development and successful networking between prospective, current and past trainees.
- Understand how early-life social and environmental factors and experiences influence child health and development
- Characterize and quantify the Social Exposome using recent technological and analytical advances
- Have meaningful impacts on children and their families by embedding community engagement and knowledge translation in our research process
KNOWLEDGE TRANSFER & DISSEMINATION
- Work with community partners to disseminate knowledge on the lasting influence of traditional and non-traditional social determinants of health across various groups including families, practitioners, educators, policy makers and the general public
- Create sustainable impact based on knowledge on the lasting influence of early-life social and environmental factors and experiences
- Increase and maintain engagement with new and existing cluster members/general public
- Increase engagement of children/youth and underrepresented groups and geographical areas
- Financially support the development of new, collaborative research projects and operational sustainability
- Maintain a diverse and dynamic network of multidisciplinary researchers and partners
- Empower HQP to tackle emerging real-world health problems with interdisciplinary and innovative solutions
- Build an inclusive and active network of current and past HQP that fosters leadership
- Support diverse career aspirations among HQP